There are a few things that I do every week in honor of upkeep and sanity. I’ll admit, I could do a better job at taking care of myself (couldn’t we all) but these things make me feel like….me.
1. Change my nail color: I’ve said this before, painting my own nails gives me a sense of comfort that nothing else can give me. While the quality may not be as good as the nail salon, I’m able to spend time stationary and enjoying being a woman. I tend to use Pantone recommendations for color inspiration and hunt for the matching nail colors. It’s actually fun to try and find them!
2. Do a face mask: I try to do this twice a week because masking really helps my skin. I have a couple in rotation currently, but nothing works better for my oily skin than the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. It really draws out impurities and battles the shine.
3. Treat my scalp: My scalp actually produces a lot of oil and can get dirty pretty fast. The more product I put on it, the more it tends to build up, so I limit product to once a week. I’ve really been loving the Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey Clarifying Scalp Treatment. I only use it on my crown which tends to get the most itchy.
4. Clip my cuticles: I break the cardinal rule of cutting my cuticles. I’m very OCD when it comes to hangnails and once I start clipping one, it’s a slippery slope into cutting them all down. Because I’ve been doing this for years, my cuticles now grow in and bug me all the time. I spend one day a week cutting them down on my fingers and toes. It’s gross, but feels amazing.
5. Treat my eyelashes: I read in a magazine that brushing your lashes with castor oil every night before bead promotes growth. Since I like nice, full lashes I jumped on it! At this point, I’ve stopped doing it every night, but I do make a point to do it once a week. The droplets stay on my lashes until I fall asleep!