So there are rare occasions when I try products that I don’t like at all. Those aren’t as fun to write about, but they do give me insight on how others are using them and if anyone else has had the same experiences I did. I rounded up 7 products that I really need to chuck because they are doing nothing more than taking up space in my trunk. I’m open to all feedback on these products if you have had similar or different experiences!
1. Sonia Kashuk Perfecting Primer Base – This was a complete waste of $14.99. Because my skin tends to appear “dull” in the morning, I thought this brightening base would be perfect if layered under my foundation to add a glow. WRONG! When I applied it, it transformed into a shimmery white film on my skin and would not rub in. I had to wash my face and start over. I tried it again, this time using it as a highlighter on the apples of my cheeks. Again, it streaked and my cheeks had an ashy look. It was like rubbing Elmers glue on my face! Unless I’m using this wrong, or it’s not meant for deeper skin tones I’m totally lost on what to do with this.
2. JCat Wonder Lip Paint – I’ve read several great reviews on this product but I didn’t have a great experience with it. The formula is very oily and is best applied with a brush. I used a lip brush to apply it to my bare lips as a lipstick and it slid everywhere. I wasn’t able to achieve a full color coverage. The product kept sliding and streaking. I wore it anyway just to see how it faded throughout the day. It transferred to everything and didn’t last very long. I could see using this on top of lipstick on the cupids bow for effect, but on it’s own it’s not worth the mess in my opinion.
3. NYX Butter Lip Balm – It pains me to write this because you all know how much I love NYX products, but this one won’t be repurchased. I loved the idea of this balm when I first got it, but after wearing it for a while I realized it just doesn’t work for me. The color is highly pigmented which is usually a good thing, but for balm it’s not the best. It applies like a lipstick and the cylinder shape makes applying it neatly a very hard task. I like the way it feels on my lips but for it to have so much color, it doesn’t apply evenly.
4. Marcelle Hydra G Reenergizing Hydrating Gel – I was so excited about this product when it came in my Birchbox! I’ve been on a gel moisturizer kick and this was a joy to see..until I used it. It could be the formula, but when I apply it my face does not feel moisturized at all. I found myself wanting to apply my usual ponds dry skin cream so that I could feel a nice quench after exfoliating. *shrug*
5. Boo Boo Cover Up Concealer – This actually came in my Ipsy bag and although it is several shades lighter than my usual concealer, I thought it would be great for covering up really dark circles or scars. Wrong. The shade could be worked with but I don’t like the way this concealer blends. I used a small brush to dab circles in my under eye area and then used a damp beauty blender to press the product into my skin. It didn’t blend well and gave me raccoon eyes. Not worth the hype.
6. Bare Republic Mineral Face Sunscreen Lotion – Sunscreen in the summer? Thanks Ipsy! I actually used this for the first time last weekend and when I went to squeeze some out of the bottle, liquid came out! The product separated terribly and I had to give it a shake to mix. When I applied it, again my face felt dry. I used it again Monday morning and it separated again! I’ve had better experiences with Banana Boat.
7. NYX Mineral “Set it & Don’t Fret It” Matte Finishing Powder – I did fret it because there was nothing matte about this powder. It didn’t mix well with my foundation and it just lay on top of it. The shade is medium/dark but was very light for my skin tone. I may use this to highlight under my eyes, but not all over the face.